Monday, October 3, 2011

Three Bean Chili


If you read my blog long enough you will see that I am not a fan of the cold weather. I love leather jackets...I love boots...and I love the holiday season. But I am a much happier person when it is above 60 degrees out. So we are this period of being too warm during the day to cut the heat on; but too cold at night not to. And I just had the air on last weekend as it was in the 80s. I so hate not having a few weeks where I can just use the ceiling fans and have the heating and air turned to the off position.

So as I debate on what to do to heat up my frigid house and my cold body, I figure soup is a good way to start. One of my favorite soups is chili. I make it with black beans. I use black beans with dark and light red kidney beans. I use a mix of pinto beans, black beans and garbanzo beans. I use turkey meat. I use chicken. I use ground beef. There are many ways to enjoy chili at my house. And it is also imperative at my house to enjoy it with some skillet cornbread or buttermilk cornbread muffins.


Three Bean Chili

3 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3/4 c diced celery
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3 tbsp hot Mexican-style chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp parsley
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 c chicken stock
1 bottle Corona
1 15-oz can pinto beans
1 15-oz can black beans
1 15-oz can  garbanzo beans

In a large stock pot, add olive oil and crumble in turkey or ground beef and cook, until no longer pink. Stir in onion, pepper, celery and jalapeno and cook until softened. Stir in seasonings. Stir in diced tomatoes,  chicken stock and Corona. Add beans to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.

Top with sour cream and green onions.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment