Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes



Weekends used to be reserved for my pancake breakfasts but I have recently turned into a pancake whore. I just can't get enough of them. Spelt flour pancakes, whole wheat flour pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, soy milk pancakes, zucchini pancakes, lemon ricotta pancakes, with whipped topping, with caramelized fruit...

I used to love waking up on Saturdays as a child because Saturdays meant cartoons and big breakfasts. One of the things I remember fondly was having blueberry muffins. I probably shouldn't be telling on my mother but she would get the ones from Betty Crocker - and that is what we she would serve with our scrambled eggs, grits and bacon. They may not have been made from scratch but they were so moist and delicious. Other than having blueberry muffins as a child, I never tried eating fresh blueberries until I started using them to spruce up my protein shakes about a year ago. And since I cannot get off of this pancake craze, instead of using the blueberries in my protein shake today, I decided that I would toss them into my pancakes.

Blueberries are known as a superfood due to their extremely high nutritional value. They are packed with Vitamin C, high in antioxidants, help promote urinary tract health, help slow the deterioration of vision, promote healthy digestive systems, and they are an excellent source of manganese. Manganese plays a role in bone development and in converting proteins, carbs and fats from food into energy. One of the reasons I enjoy blueberries is because it helps me get my daily fruit serving in without the high sugar content.

If you are in a hurry, you can make the batter the night before and keep it in the fridge. If it is too thick, use a little milk to change the consistency of the batter. Or you can cook them and keep them, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for a few days (or in the freezer for up to a month).

Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes

1¼ c whole wheat pastry flour
¾ c spelt flour
2 packets Stevia
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 c Greek yogurt
1 c soy or 2% milk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
½ c blueberries, rinsed and dried


Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

1 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 lg egg
1 1/2 c buttermilk
2 tbsp butter melted
1/2 c blueberries

Whisk the wet ingredients together. Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together; careful not to whisk too much. The batter should be lumpy.

Preheat griddle or cast iron pan. Brush with butter. Ladle batter onto griddle or into pan. Place a few blueberries on the pancakes as they cook.


Cook on the first side until bubbles form and begin to pop. Flip the pancake and cook until golden brown. Keep cooked pancakes warm until ready to serve, in a 200 degree oven.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment