Tuesday, December 7, 2010

For Pringles From Patty Cakes


Over the summer, I lost a very dear friend who I have known since elementary school. Kevin Pringle (aka Pringles) was a huge fan of my cooking, but was particularly fond of the desserts.

At some point last year we decided to cut back on sweets and began incorporating some healthier items in our diets. During that period I tried to convince myself that if I cut out the heavy stuff and ate desserts like sorbet and sweet breads once every blue moon that I'd be good. That lasted for about 9 months, maybe? I really did try! I’m still working towards eating better but I do nibble on dessert occasionally now and try not to feel too guilty. Nevertheless, this became one of our favorites and is a great palate cleanser after dinner.

So in honor of Pringles, who would be celebrating a birthday this week, I feel compelled to make his sorbet. I know Pringles is smiling down on me as this ice-cream is churning away…I love you man!

This recipe is better with fresh mangoes. But if you don’t have any on hand or prefer not to puree them, I recommend using Jumex’s Mango nectar from concentrate, usually found in the International food section of most grocery stores.

Mango Sorbet

3 c mango juice
½ c lime juice
½ c orange juice
Simple Syrup (see below)

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until cooled. Pour the chilled mixture into your ice-cream machine and churn for 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a plastic container and freeze for 4-6 hours before serving. Optional: Add three tablespoons of tequila during the last 5 minutes of churning to take it up a notch.

Simple Syrup

1 c water
1 c sugar

Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Cool.

I use Cuisinart’s Ice-cream Maker, which was one of the best (and most used) gifts I ever received! Make yogurt, gelato, ice-cream and sorbet in your very own kitchen.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment