Friday, December 3, 2010

Grand Marnier French Toast


I’m not a real big breakfast person. But every now and again I will fix my famous spinach and egg casserole, Southern grits and Grand Marnier French Toast. Everybody raves about this recipe but it is very heavy. So with people trying to stay fit and trim, I have had to table this dish for a while. I feel inclined to warn you that I have had guests to fall asleep at the table after consuming this French toast so proceed with caution.

So today my bestie is here visiting from New York so I thought, what better way to keep her here for a few extra days than to spoil her or render her useless with this French toast? Unfortunately, she hasn’t fallen asleep yet so I guess my plan isn’t working.

Most people are accustomed to preparing their French toast on a griddle or by frying it on the stovetop. But you will bake this French toast in the oven. The bread can be baked as soon as the milk mixture is absorbed or, better still, after letting it rest overnight.

If you don’t have any Grand Marnier on hand, you can substitute Cointreau.

Grand Marnier French Toast

2 large eggs
1 ½ c half and half or heavy cream
¼ c Grand Marnier
¼ c orange juice
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp grated orange zest
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
8 challah bread slices
4 tbsp butter, melted

Whisk the eggs, milk, flavoring and seasonings in a bowl. Dip challah into egg mixture and arrange in glass baking dish. Let stand until egg mixture has been absorbed. May be done overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush cookie sheet with butter. Place French toast on cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Turn French toast halfway through.

Garnish with powdered sugar and serve.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, baked by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo, I have had the devine pleasure of having this incredible creation prepared for me and another guest for brunch a few years ago. Um, um, um. Patrice prepared it seemingly effortlessly and served it up with the loving flare like only she can. And yes, soon after the last bite melted in my mouth, I had the uncontrollable need to sleep. Sooooo satisfying...

    ReplyDelete