Sunday, December 5, 2010

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas


One of the reasons I love Charlotte so much is because the weather here is almost perfect. Typically during this time of year it is still fairly mild out, around 50 or 60 degrees. But this particular afternoon we are getting a mix of sleet and rain. Are you serious? Usually, I am not opposed to sleet and snow when I have nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon. But I am not ready for snow quite yet. Glad I got my milk and eggs earlier this week! I am positive that many Charlotteans are flocking to the store to raid the shelves as I type.

Since today is a good day for movies, blankets, hot cocoa or tea, I am thinking something warm and apple may be what’s needed to add some sunshine to this otherwise gloomy day. Apple pie, apple crisp, stewed apples? I think applesauce bread is going to be on today’s menu. That way I can quickly get back under the blanket and see what scandal is brewing on Lifetime Movie Network.

Applesauce Bread

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 loaf pan with parchment paper.

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Fold in add applesauce, eggs, butter and honey. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.

Delicious with a cup of Twinings Herbal Unwind Egyptian chamomile and apple tea.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, baked by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment