Saturday, December 25, 2010

Sugar & Spice & Everything Nice


I have been on my feet for the last 10 hours baking. Clearly it is time to throw in the towel as things are starting to go wrong. I have a caketastrophe. I am finishing up an eggnog pound cake to take to Christmas dinner at my mother's tomorrow and the cake sticks to the bottom of the pan. What the..? Say it ain't so! I am somewhat of a perfectionist.  The dessert lady can't take a less than perfect cake to dinner. But honestly, at this point, it is out of my hands...my body is telling me it's officially a wrap!

Everyone loves a good pound cake. This is not your typical pound cake with a pound of all the ingredients we love but aren't supposed to eat. It is much lighter...reminds me of a coffee cake even. I said I was tired but I didn't say I wasn't creative! I saved the cake by turning it upside down and drizzling it with a little glaze. You think anyone will notice? It tastes good so that is all that matters. Merry Christmas!



Eggnog Pound Cake

1 cup butter, softened
3 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup eggnog
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons rum or brandy
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Generously grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan; set aside.

Beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with 1 cup eggnog, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in flavoring.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves together. Sprinkle spices over batter. Swirl batters together, using a knife.

Bake at 350° for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool entirely.

Glaze

1 c powdered sugar

3 tbsp whipping cream
1 tsp rum or brandy

Combine ingredients, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm cake.

Garnish with powdered sugar, berries, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. In the spirit of Christmas, I chose to go with sugared cranberries.

 
All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment