Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What's for Breakfast?


If you ask me, sleep is way more important than getting up early in the morning to make breakfast, particularly when you don't go to bed before 3am. So oftentimes, I need some grab 'n go items so I can catch up on my much needed beauty rest.

One of my favorite muffins is the classic bran muffin. When I am not having it for breakfast, I sometimes eat it along with my grilled chicken breast salad at dinnertime. I'm not counting calories but we all need to work on making less trips to the fast food drive-thru and these don't necessarily taste healthy. They're really good! You get what I mean, right? They are also a great source of fiber.

For the cereal portion in this particular recipe, I will typically buy the store brand stuff...but let's just keep that between us. And as per the usual, I snuck a little alcohol in here too. Yes I know, even for breakfast.



Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups bran cereal (plain)
1 c buttermilk
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 egg
2/3 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp brandy
1 c AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin or line with parchment paper.

Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.

Combine bran cereal and buttermilk in a bowl and let stand until buttermilk is absorbed. Beat oil, egg, sugar, and flavoring and add to the bran mixture. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture. Fold in raisins. Spoon batter into prepared tins. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.

Now don't eat too many of these on the way to work or you might have a slight problem! Otherwise, enjoy!


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, baked by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! I am so glad to see your blog. I'm going to try one of your recipes a week. Hmmmmm? Where should I start???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try these, looks good!!

    ReplyDelete