Monday, January 10, 2011

Buttermilk Whole Wheat Pancakes


This Monday marks yet another snow day in the Queen City. We do still live in the South, right? So it is going to be another brown couch day I suppose.

My intent was to get some work done but so far it is not looking good. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting motivated when everyone else is off work and back in bed. That really has absolutely nothing to do with me since I work from home but...this John Sandford book is peeking at me from the coffee table and looking like my only firm agenda item for today. Blanket...check. Remote...check. Laptop...check. Good eats...check.

I complain about the snow but the truth is that I really love the snow as long as the power stays on, I have a house full of food, I don’t have anywhere that I have to be, and the kids let it stay pretty for at least an hour or two before they start sledding and throwing snowballs and the snow is no longer fresh. That’s not too much to ask, is it? So I am 3 for 4 this morning, which is not so bad. I hear shrieking sounds somewhere in the distance so the kids are already at it.

In keeping with my healthy or healthier lifestyle, this recipe can be made with organic sugar, oil and soy milk.


Whole Wheat Pancakes

2 c King Arthur Flour white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 1/2 c buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp grated orange zest
2 tbsp butter
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In separate bowl, whisk the eggs together. Next, whisk in the remaining wet ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients but do not over mix.

Heat griddle or pan. Oil the pan or spray with cooking spray. Pour a scoop of batter onto the griddle. Cook on the first side until bubbles form and begin to pop. Flip the pancake and cook until golden brown. Keep cooked pancakes warm until ready to serve, in a 200 degree oven. Serve with warm maple syrup.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment