Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chocolate Mousse



I think my palate has become slightly more sophisticated as I have gotten older. I am a creature of habit and normally like to eat things that have texture and crunch so whipped desserts and soufflé were never my thing. But I am venturing out and trying new things. Life is short!

I am all about simple because my time is very limited. That being said, this mousse is easy and inexpensive to make. And it is a good dessert for two. I definitely don't have time to stay in the house and slave over a stove today...it is a warm 60 degree day out and I am so looking forward to spring (or at least more spring-like weather). So here goes...

Chocolate Mousse

4 large egg yolks
1 tbsp espresso
1/4 c sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream

Whisk yolks, espresso, sugar, and salt in a double boiler until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in chopped chocolate and cocoa. Cool slightly.

In a separate bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Whisk half of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream with a spatula. Divide mousse among serving dishes. Chill at least 2 hours.

Garnish with shaved chocolate and serve.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment