Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Relax, Relate, Release


I have been doing a detox for the last two weeks and am about to cut a cartwheel because I only have a few more days before I am done with it. Who-hoo!!! My meals have been consisting of no sweets, of course, and lots of proteins, greens, fresh fruits and vegetables. Of course this is what we should be eating anyway but everyone wants a little treat every now and then, right?

One of my girlfriends is doing a detox as well, so we are trying to encourage one another as we are both craving things not on our meal plans. She is sending me photos of her 3 oz. chicken breast and I am sending her photos of my 4 oz. piece of salmon and healthy greens. I know…sad.

There is a lot of debate about whether a detox is really necessary. Many doctors will tell you that you don’t need to do anything special to detoxify, as our bodies cleanse themselves on a daily basis. But the truth of the matter is that are bodies are overwhelmed with the amount of toxins we take in every day. In addition, many of us are under a lot of stress, eat processed foods, grab a lot of fast food, and have sedentary lifestyles. So we don’t have the tools to eliminate toxins as we should. In my case, I have taken tons of antibiotics over the years which, over time, has caused my health to severely decline.


Some signs/symptoms that may indicate that a detox is in order are:

- Frequent headaches
- Joint pains
- Frequent colds
- Trouble concentrating
- Digestive problems
- Night sweats
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Poor dexterity
- Dark circles under your eyes
- Memory loss
- Shallow breathing
- Bruises that take a long time to heal
- Insomnia and fatigue
- Sensitivity to odors
- Psoriasis
- Depression

So while I am in no way qualified to tell you to run out and start a detox regimen, from my experience, I can certainly tell a huge difference when I finish the process. I have so much more energy, I digest foods better, my skin is clearer, and I just feel better.

So, never fear...I will get back to baking in time for Valentine’s Day! Unfortunately, I just won’t be enjoying any desserts quite yet. Argh!


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment