Sunday, June 26, 2011

Apple Chips


It is really never good for me to be in the house for an entire day because I end up doing way too much snacking. I am out of Chex Mix and not feeling like running to the store so I am officially out of treats. So I am at it again with the mandolin and the potato chips. This time I am making my all-time favorite, apple chips.

My first experience with apple chips came shortly after Panera Bread added the Fuji apple chicken salad to the menu. So delicious! This salad comes with apple chips on the top. While it is truly a great salad, the chips get a little too soggy. And I don't do soggy. So I would find myself eating the chips off of the top of the salad before digging in.

I won't go into my obsession again with the chips and how I spent an arm and a leg with Seneca Foods, purchasing them in bulk to have on hand 24/7. But let's just say I did find it easier to make them myself. Today was supposed to be a day at the pool. But with the impending storm it looks like a day on the brown couch. Healthy snack...check. Fuzzy blanket...check. Remote control...check. Let's go!


Apple Chips

2 large apples (Red Delicious or Granny Smith)
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Healthy option:
2 large apples (Red Delicious or Granny Smith)
1/8 tsp Stevia (or use no sugar at all)
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Use mandolin to thinly slice apples. Arrange apples in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Using a sieve, sprinkle over apple slices.

Bake in bottom part of oven until apples are crispy and dry, about 2 hours. Every 30 minutes flip the apple slices over to ensure they bake evenly. Once chips are done, let them cool completely. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment