Sunday, July 3, 2011

Breakfast Potatoes


During the week there is so much going on that there is not a lot of time to cook a good breakfast before starting work. Plus, to be totally honest, I would much rather get 30 additional minutes of sleep than to wake up to allow for a big breakfast. But, it is the most important meal of the day. So I enjoy the weekends where I can take my time and prepare a hearty breakfast while sipping on a hot cup of tea.

That's what I am doing this morning while reading Clean Eating. Any time I receive a gift I am always grateful. But I especially love receiving gifts that I can actually benefit from or use in my every day life. My bestie knows I am on this journey to healthier eating. So she purchased a subscription to Clean Eating for my birthday gift this year. If you are interested in eating food in its most natural state and are looking for healthier eating habits, this magazine is for you. It is full of great recipes, tips, and articles that help with improving your lifestyle.


I don't do a lot of "white foods", which are essentially bad carbs. But I will allow some flexibility with my weekend breakfast, from time to time. Today I wanted a fried egg and some breakfast potatoes. I use red potatoes for my breakfast potatoes and always leave the skin on. The skin has fiber, phytochemicals, and vitamins.

I always boil my potatoes first to reduce the amount of cooking time once I add them in the saute pan with the onions and spices.


Breakfast Potatoes

3 lg red potatoes
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tbsp parsley

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add red potatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Do not overcook or they will be mushy. Drain the potatoes and set aside.

In a saute pan, add olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add onions and potatoes to the pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika and cook for 3-5 minutes. Be sure to toss the potatoes so the spices are evenly distributed. Cook for 2-4 more minutes or until they reach desired doneness.

Sprinkle with parsley and serve.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment