Sunday, August 7, 2011

Shrimp & White Bean Soup


Who said you could only eat soup in the winter? I am at it again...my second day of craving soup even though it is the dead of summer. Most people prefer a chilled zucchini soup or a green pea soup during the warmer months. But I have never been one to follow the crowd.

I am addicted to kale! So I decided on a kale, shrimp and white bean soup for lunch today. Truthfully, it is going to be a busy week and it would be something quick and easy to heat up for lunch with a warm piece of buttermilk cornbread.

Clearly I am not the only one who eats soup all year around. My girlfriend is in town from Minneapolis and she came through the door with a bowl of soup from Panera. Who knew?


Shrimp and White Bean Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 small red potatoes, diced (skin on)
1 15 oz can white beans (cannellini, navy or Great Northern)
4 c chicken stock
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 c medium shrimp, deveined
2 c kale

In medium sized stock pot, heat olive oil. Add onion and celery and saute until translucent, about 5  minutes. Add potatoes, beans (do not drain), chicken stock and seasonings. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer approximately 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add shrimp during the last 7 minutes of cooking; add kale during the last 5 minutes of cooking.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

1 comment:

  1. I love soup all year round! When it gets too hot to eat a steaming bowlful, I still make the same recipes, but make them in advance and eat them chilled. This sounds like a delicious option for doing just that! I might try replacing the shrimp with soaked cashews though... I know that the flavor is very different, but I do love the texture, and the shape reminds me of shrimp, at least. ;)

    ReplyDelete