Saturday, January 28, 2012

Garlic Hummus



I have a friend who asks me why I blog and what is so important about sharing recipes when folk can just Google recipes online and find what they are looking for. Basically it is because blogging/writing is therapeutic for me. I enjoy sharing the things I love or am passionate about - my love of food, cooking, baking, new products and the latest gadgets. But, more importantly, it tickles me when I get feedback from people who don't typically cook, experimenting with my recipes with success and getting rave reviews from their friends and guests. Or when I hear how my journey has inspired someone to change their eating habits and lead a healthier lifestyle...that is really why I do the blog.

SuperBowl weekend is approaching so I wanted to share some healthy dips and appetizers that can be made for the festivities. Hummus is a thick spread made from ground chickpeas, olive oil, lemon, and garlic, made originally in the Middle East. There are so many different varieties - pumpkin, garlic, black bean, sun dried tomato and spinach hummus, to name a few. I am making some garlic hummus for my late night snack this evening. Eat with veggies, crackers, crostini or as a spread.


Garlic Hummus

1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
4 tbsp olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/2 tsp powdered cumin
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp paprika

Drain the garbanzo beans, preserving the liquid.

Blend garbanzo beans in a food processor. Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and blend. Add yogurt and blend into a smooth dip. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with olive oil and/or paprika.

If hummus is too thick, add some of the liquid from the chickpeas, a teaspoon at a time.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment