Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pear Pancakes


It seems like forever since I have done a blog entry...perhaps because it has been! I just realized the last time I did any writing was in November. The holidays were great and very restful. But sadly, my oven (that caught ablaze a few months back) finally went to heaven. So there was not a lot of cooking and baking going on during the holidays, as would normally be the case at my house. And although it was very different, it was kind of nice to be able to go to holiday parties and dinners and just eat - without the responsibility for anything but maybe a dip...no cakes, no pies, no turkeys, no hams, no greens. It was pretty awesome actually. But I must admit, I did miss the traditional cooking smells around my house and I missed the blogging. So it's a new year and time to get back in the swing of things.

Last week marked my 1 year anniversary of being on my sugar free diet. I am still amazed at how I went from eating homemade buttermilk biscuits, cinnamon rolls or muffins with breakfast, eating cake and pie for dessert, having homemade ice cream and cookies in between (on a daily basis, I might add) to eating NO sugar....zero, zilch, goose egg, nada. It has been quite a ride; but one I don't regret taking.


A girlfriend of mine, who is supportive of my clean eating journey, brought me a book over the holidays called Clean, written by Alejandro Junger, M.D. It is a great read. Several of you make resolutions to get fit at the first of the year. And if that is your goal this year, read this book and think about cleansing the body, along with your workout regimen. In the very first chapter he hits on what my problem has been for years--racing to the doctor, getting prescription drugs  and antibiotics for whatever ails you, thus breaking down the immune system and filling your body with toxins. All you really need to feel great is proper rest, diet and exercise. I won't bore some of you who think you could never  live without sweets or dairy; but I am a witness to the fact that cutting out the "junk" in your diet will make you more alert and energetic, have less allergies, clearer skin, better digestion...the list goes on. If you get a chance, read the book. Knowledge is power.

It is a chilly 29 degrees outside so I am intentionally not scheduling any meetings until the end of the week when it is back in the 50s. So I thought I would have a nice breakfast before heading up to the office to work. I just hope it does not make me too sleepy, as it is hard coming off of such a long vacation and trying to be productive. Focus!


Pear Pancakes

1 pear, grated
1 c whole milk (OR substitute soy or coconut milk)

1 egg
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla or brandy flavoring
1 c all purpose flour (OR substitute 1/2 c spelt flour + 1/2 c whole wheat flour)

1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar (OR substitute 2-3 packets stevia)
Dash of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine pear, egg, milk, flavoring and melted butter. Slowly incorporate the wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix.

Preheat griddle or cast iron pan. Brush with butter. Ladle batter onto griddle or into pan. Cook on the first side until bubbles form and begin to pop. Flip the pancake and cook until golden brown. Keep cooked pancakes warm until ready to serve, in a 200 degree oven.

*If you prefer fluffier pancake you can 1) substitute buttermilk, 2) whisk the sugar into the wet ingredients. This adds some air bubbles into the mix and makes them lighter and fluffier, or 3) separate the egg and mix the yolk in with the rest of the liquid. Combine the wet and dry ingredients as usual, then beat the egg white until stiff and fold into the batter at the last minute.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment