Friday, December 31, 2010

Blonde Brownies


Is it true that blondes are more fun? In the case of these brownies, I might have to agree. Don't get me wrong, I love a great chocolate or fudge brownie but I must say that I am partial to desserts with a caramel or butterscotch taste.

There are a lot of stories about where brownies originated from...one legend says that a chef mistakenly added melted chocolate to a batch of biscuits...another story is of a housewife in Maine who forgot to add baking powder to her chocolate cake and when her cake didn’t rise properly, instead of tossing it out, she cut and served the flat pieces. I am not sure which, if any, is true but they have certainly evolved from the early 20th century. Did you know there was even a National Brownie Day? Pretty important stuff, huh?

These brownies are so good and so chewy and so rich. I am not sure how much I would add to blonde brownies, other than nuts or perhaps coconut, because they are so rich and tasty on their own. But I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!

Blonde Brownies

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.

Cream shortening, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, walnuts, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to egg mixture, stirring until well blended. Spread dough evenly into prepared pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment