Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's The Little Things


I want to say there is a good reason as to why I have not baked anything for the last several days. But, truth be told, those buttermilk pancakes were so fabulous that I felt like I should let that post stand for a few days in their honor.

I don’t have one Christmas gift under the tree and Christmas is a mere 9 days away. So I am kind of feeling like the Grinch right about now. We've had snow in the area on two occasions already and winter hasn't officially begun. And I am just not ready for Christmas yet. So today I don’t want any Christmassy stuff--no chocolate, peppermint, red velvet or eggnog cakes. I am trying my hand at some doughnut holes.

This particular recipe is not made with yeast so the final product will resemble more of a Dunkin Donut than a Krispy Kreme doughnut. These bite sized sweets are very light and extremely tasty. I wish I had a photo to share with them plated and looking all pretty but I ate them before I had a chance to photograph them. It wasn't that many...really.

Doughnut Holes

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar

2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 qt vegetable oil
1/2 c confectioners sugar, optional
1/2 c cinnamon sugar, optional

Preheat deep fryer to 375.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt together in a mixing bowl. Incorporate milk, egg, and melted butter, and blend well.

Once fryer is ready, drop spoonfuls of dough into the fryer and cook dough for approximately 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil.


Roll doughnut holes in confectioners sugar or cinnamon sugar and serve warm.

Gracious, these puppies are so good! It really is the little things.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment