Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sweet Saturday Morning


I am watching one of my favorite movies, Something's Gotta Give, and wondering why I am not enjoying a night out with friends or heading to a holiday gathering since I am feeling a lot less like the Grinch today. Instead I am home thinking about food. Good thing I only weigh a buck (not even the o' five) or I might be in trouble.

I guess it is safe to say that once I find something that I like, I get a little obsessed with it. It's Friday night and already I am thinking back to last weekend's buttermilk pancakes and anxiously awaiting Saturday morning's breakfast. While I am not quite ready to make the buttermilk pancakes again, I do want something that closely resembles the experience I had last weekend.

I have a thing for sweet potatoes and probably have them several times a week in some shape or form...sweet potato fries, sweet potato pie, baked sweet potato, sweet potato casserole, sweet potato bread...so what do you think I am having for breakfast? You guessed it. Sweet potato pancakes.

I had never heard of sweet potato pancakes until my girlfriend Kendra and her mother stumbled on a restaurant on one of their mother/daughter trips that they claim makes the best ones around, but they are only available for a few months during the fall. So perhaps now she can try them herself and not have to wait to enjoy them. Or maybe I will invite her over for breakfast tomorrow...



 Sweet Potato Pancakes

1 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs
2 cups of buttermilk
1 large sweet potato, cooked and mashed
4 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp bourbon
1/8 c pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly toast pecans for 2-4 minutes.

Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, mashed sweet potato, butter, and flavorings. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and blend well.

Heat griddle. Oil the pan or spray with cooking spray. Pour a scoop of batter onto the griddle. Cook on the first side until bubbles form and begin to pop. Flip the pancake and cook until golden brown. Keep cooked pancakes warm until ready to serve, in a 200 degree oven. Sprinkle pecans as garnish on pancakes and serve with warm maple syrup.



All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment