Friday, December 31, 2010

Raspberry Sorbet


I am not sure why my sinuses decided to start affecting me as an adult but I am so not happy about it. They are depriving me of my love of ice cream. Every now and again I will sneak in a small scoop or spoon full but I end up paying dearly for it later. So I have really gotten into making sorbet over the last year.

I swore I would not make anything else with eggnog until next year because I have truly had my fill of eggnog this holiday season. But I just ran across a recipe online for eggnog ice cream with soy milk powder and almond milk. Have I found the cure for my lactose intolerance? Might I be able to enjoy a bowl instead of a smidgen for New Year's Eve? I'm too chicken. I can't do it. I better go with my first choice, which is a raspberry sorbet. I must depart from the eggnog until the fall of 2011 and save myself...


Raspberry Sorbet

4 c raspberries
1 orange, juiced
1 c sugar
1 c water
1 tbsp vodka

Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the sugar water to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.

Puree the raspberries in a food processor and then pass through a fine sieve into a large bowl, keeping the juice and discarding the seeds. Mix in the orange juice and vodka after the seeds are discarded.

Whisk the sugar mixture with the raspberry puree and cool for several hours in the fridge. Once cooled, churn in an ice cream maker as per instruction manual. Freeze for 2 hours before serving.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Virtually Everything Sweet, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment