Monday, May 16, 2011

Asparagus


My father is a great cook and I had my first experience with asparagus at his house about six years ago. He sautéed the asparagus in a medium saucepan, added some fresh garlic and vermouth to the pan...it was one of the best things I ever ate. I am certain I had a least three helpings, of just the asparagus, it was so darn good.

Later that evening, belly full and quite content, my son and I are driving home when I smelled this God-awful scent in the car. We rolled the windows down but it just would not go away. Upon arriving home, we got out of our clothes and into our pajamas and the smell was still very pungent. It was in my clothes, my hair, my pores. I just kept thinking, “What in the world did Poppi have at his house that got into my clothing?” No harm intended, but you know how you can go to a Chinese restaurant or a restaurant with fried foods and it takes days for your jacket or hair to get that smell out? 

But it soon occurred to me that the scent was not on my clothing articles, IT WAS ME! I was too outdone! The culprint was the asparagus. At the time, I was not a huge water drinker so it took days for that smell to leave my system. I vowed I would never eat asparagus again. And I hadn't...until today.

So why does asparagus make your body and urine so offensive? Asparagus contains a sulfur-containing compound called methyl mercaptan. A colorless gas, this compound is also found in eggs, feces, garlic, cheese, and, yes, even skunk secretions. After consuming as much as I had, that is exactly what I smelled like! Asparagus also contains asparagine, an amino acid, which is known to have a distinctive smell when heated. I am debating about not making it even now…the memories. Strangely enough, everyone does not have the same reaction to asparagus and some of the population can eat asparagus and don’t smell at all.

But it is so good and it is good for you. Asparagus is a good source calcium, magnesium, zinc and is a very good source of fiber and protein. Asparagus is known to detoxify our system, help reduce inflammation, reduces the risk of heart disease and can even help with the prevention of birth defects.


Asparagus

1 pound asparagus, trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
Dash of lemon juice

Wash asparagus and pat dry.

Heat broiler. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with the oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Arrange the asparagus in a single layer and broil, shaking the baking sheet occasionally, until tender and slightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment