Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Salmon Cakes



I am coming off of my birthday weekend high and feeling like the national holiday ended way too soon. This year my birthday fell on Mother's Day so I've been feeling extra special and somewhat entitled to the royal treatment. However, since no one else likely shares my thoughts on that (particularly now that the national holiday is over) I'm planning to treat myself for a few more days, though I am not quite sure what that will look like.

Over the last week, I've been out to eat at many places in celebration of my special day; but one of the best things I enjoyed most was this mini crab cake at the Ritz Carlton Charlotte. Two of my other girlfriends had birthdays in the same week so we had a small celebration there and invited a few friends. Well, actually one of the birthdays girls invited half of Charlotte...but thankfully they did not all show!

All day Sunday I could not get the crab cakes out of my head and when I got up this morning I was still thinking about them. So I decided I wanted to create my own for lunch when I realized I did not have lump crab meat just sitting around in the fridge. But I do have salmon. Ha! So I am hoping that will satisfy my craving.

For this recipe, you can purchase Bumble Bee's Wild Alaska Pink Salmon or you can simply poach or broil two salmon fillets. Or you can substitute lump crab meat for crab cakes.

Salmon Cakes

1 pound salmon
1 c Panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp plain fat-free yogurt
½ c yellow onions
½ c red pepper
½ c green pepper
¼ c yellow pepper
½ c Celery
1 tbsp parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp ground mustard

Chop salmon into fine pieces and set aside.

In a saucepan, sautee' onions, peppers, and celery for about 4 minutes until tender. Cool slightly.



Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss well. Cover and chill for 10 minutes.
 
Divide salmon into equal portions and make patties. Heat butter or olive oil in non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add patties and reduce heat slightly. Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. 


 
If you like a sauce for your salmon cakes you can use a remoulade or red pepper sauce.

Rémoulade Sauce

3/4 c mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp whole-grain mustard
1 tsp tarragon vinegar
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
2 tsp capers (drained), chopped
1 tbsp parsley
1 scallion, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Combine ingredients in bowl and mix well.

Red Pepper Sauce

1 garlic clove, diced
8 oz plain Greek yogurt
4 oz roasted red peppers
1 tsp lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Combine everything in a blender and puree until desired consistency is reached.


All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment