Sunday, October 2, 2011

Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips


I feel really bad when I have people over to visit and have not gone to the grocery store. I have plenty of food in my fridge and pantry that I like to eat. However, it appears that none of my friends and family members are eating healthy so there is not plenty in my fridge and pantry that they like to eat. My sister was here this week and has been eating these deli sandwiches for lunch. I keep looking at her lunch, thinking fondly of how I used to bake bread, with my beloved Sunbeam bread maker, for my sandwiches. But something was missing from her lunch. Potato chips! What's a sandwich with no chips? So I remembered that I had some Russet potatoes in the fridge and decided to make a batch of chips to complete her lunch for tomorrow.


I have some reservations about making the chips because I was cooking dinner a few weeks back and heard this mini explosion. I looked up and saw a fire in the back of my range and was devastated that I may have to have a funeral for my Frigidaire...or better yet, one for myself! It turns out that a cord in the back had been worn, possibly due to age, and the electrician said it was no major problem to repair.

So the stove was fixed the next day...but the electrician also said my house could have burned to the ground and I could have been electrocuted. So, needless to say, it has taken a while for me to be completely comfortable in the kitchen, which is a shame because it is my favorite space in the house. I said all that to say, these chips would normally be cooked in a 400-450 degree oven but, after the "incident" I am a little nervous about cutting the oven on that high.

So, here's hoping that my act of sisterly kindness does not give me a kitchen nightmare!


Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips

2 medium russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in lower position.

Slice potatoes with mandolin (approximately 1/8 inch thick) and put them in a bowl of water to soak for ten minutes. Pat potatoes dry. Divide potatoes between baking sheets, lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with oil, toss, and spread them in a single layer on sheets, careful that chips are not touching.

Bake until crisp, about 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and vinegar.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

1 comment: