Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup



I keep saying I am not quite ready for the cold but now that I have started this soup thing, I am on a roll. I'm watching the local news and they are calling for rain all day tomorrow. September is my busiest month of the year and this has been a particularly rough week. So I am secretly hoping that I will be able to stay in, eat my soup and enjoy doing absolutely nothing tomorrow, other than listen to the rain against my window. Wishful thinking, I know.

Chicken Tortilla soup is great for rainy days and football Sundays. Pair it with a cold Corona...good times, good times. You can garnish it with a myriad of things - avocado, fresh tomato, red onion, sour cream, four cheese blend, cilantro, lime, tortilla chips...so many options.

I will say, this soup has helped to open up my clogged sinus cavities. I might have to keep some of this on hand on a regular!


Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 Serrano pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 tsp cumin
3 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
Ground pepper, to taste
4 c low sodium chicken broth
3 c  water
2 c fresh tomatoes, diced
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 c fresh corn

Preheat oven to 375°.

Drizzle some olive oil onto chicken breasts. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and bake chicken for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Shred chicken, pulling breasts apart with a fork. Set aside until ready to use.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a stock pot over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions, garlic and peppers and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the remaining spices, add the shredded chicken and stir until combined. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, water, black beans and fresh corn. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve hot.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment