Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tzatziki


I have been using Greek yogurt like crazy - as a substitute for sour cream, mayo, cheese, crème fraîche, ice cream...I am trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies in my diet on a daily basis. But I don't do too well eating veggies without some sort of dip. I used to die for Tostitos Creamy Spinach Dip for my veggies and chips. But I have to get over that.  So nowadays, this Tzatziki dip is my new staple.

Yogurt, in general, is an excellent source of calcium, potassium, protein, zinc, vitamins B6 and B12 and also includes acidophilus, a bacterium to supplement the intestinal flora. The liquid whey is strained out of Greek yogurt so it has a thicker, creamier texture. Greek yogurt is also lower in sugar.

Tzatziki is a quick and easy dip that is commonly used as a veggie dip, on lamb, kabobs, salmon, tilapia, gyros and pitas.


Tzatziki

16 oz Greek yogurt
1 English cucumber with peel, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill (or 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Stir together yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Add dill, salt and pepper; whisk until smooth. Chill for 2-3 hours before serving.

All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment