Super Bowl XLVI (Giants vs. Patriots) is days away and though I could care less about the teams playing, since the Cowboys did not make it...no comments please...I still plan to eat some good food and enjoy the commercials and fellowship.
You can cheat and purchase the roasted red bell peppers in the jar for this quick and easy hummus dish. But it is just as easy to roast them on your own.
To roast red peppers:
- Wash the pepper thoroughly
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with foil
- Arrange peppers on baking sheet, spaced apart
- Roast for 30 minutes, turning once
- Once roasted, place peppers in a glass dish and cover
- Once peppers have cooled, the outer skin will be easy to peel
- Peel the skin, remove the seeds and pepper is ready for use in your favorite dish
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
15 oz can of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)
1 tsp paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1-2 roasted red peppers (or 6 oz jar roasted red bell peppers)
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
Drain the garbanzo beans, preserving the liquid.
Blend the garbanzo beans in a good processor. Add remaining ingredients, except for the olive oil and puree. Slowly add in olive oil until smooth. If hummus is too thick, add some of the liquid from the garbanzo beans, a teaspoon at a time.
Chill and set for approximately an hour. Garnish and serve.
All photographs are actual pictures of the recipe listed, prepared by Sweet Treats 'n Good Eats, and cannot be used without the owner’s consent.